Friday, December 25, 2009

And so it begins

In just a couple of hours, my children will take me to the airport.  It's hard to believe that after all the months of planning, fundraising, hoping and praying, the day has finally arrived.  The journey has begun.

What will I see?  What will I experience?  Who will I meet?

My prayer is to go to this land, to these people, with an open heart, an open mind, and outstretched arms.  My intention is to listen and to learn.

Some people have said to me that this trip won't make any difference; therefore, why am I going?  I do not pretend to have all the answers; not even one, in fact.

But just because something is the way it is, doesn't mean it always has to be that way.  No matter how long it's been.  That is probably a major reason why I am going -- so that we don't forget that innocent people are suffering.  The blockade of Gaza and the Palestinian/Israeli conflict have been going on for so long that it's easy to become used to it and grow complacent.  That, my friends, is the tragedy.

But, others argue (why must people argue?), there are people suffering elsewhere, too.  Look at Nepal, Somalia, Afghanistan.  Why aren't you going there?

The answer to that is really quite simple:  I believe it is our responsibility to help those that God puts in our path.  We can't help everyone; only those in front of us. This mission was put in my path.  Not Nepal or Somalia.  Gaza was put in my path.

It leaves me breathless to be a part of something so much bigger than me.  I am overcome with gratitude that I would be given this opportunity.

My sincere hope is that I can be a blessing to those I meet as much as I know they will bless me.

5 comments:

  1. Bella, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Best wishes from Lansing, MI

    - thasin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing you already, and wishing you well.
    Love and prayers, your BFF

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we there yet? .............. Are we there yet?.................
    -Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe it matters that you are there. A presence of peace helps counter the presence of hate and violence. It matters because it is needed, it matters because you are following a calling, it matters because so many people have just given up. The history is complicated and is very misunderstood by most of the world. There once was a time when people actually lived in peace with each other for a while . . . so why can't that happen again? If we don't work towards peace, how can it occur?

    I do hope you and the team are safe, as the news has not been good coming out of Gaza in the last 24 Hours, you are hitting the ground running into a boiling pot. You and the team continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are all the updates? Waiting to hear from you!

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete